VK AUCTIONS - FREE Online RADIO RELATED Auction site from VKHam.com
Allan VK2CA
2006-07-13 13:21:41 UTC
Hi All

Just a reminder that VKHam.com has expanded to include a FREE
alternative radio related Auction service - VK Auctions.

Completely FREE to buy and sell!

http://vkham.jbo.com.au/auction/auctionmain.html

As with the VK Classifieds this is a totally free service open to all
with a focus on items of interest to the radio community. Come and
check it out and register so that you can place items up for auction or
maybe bid on someone elses items.

You can even leave feedback after a sale or purchase.

Many more options available to assist in your transactions.

Note: Unlike some Auction services you can have a Reserve Bid at VK
Auctions - which means you can specify a price which you have no
obligation sell under!

Cheers....Allan VK2CA
Owen Duffy
2006-07-13 22:54:51 UTC
Post by Allan VK2CA
Note: Unlike some Auction services you can have a Reserve Bid at VK
Auctions - which means you can specify a price which you have no
obligation sell under!
And that is a strength?

Not for the bidders who waste time in the process.

An ideal invitation for unethical practice by a seller who gets a
bidder up to a price, and can then request a little more to complete
the deal.

You know what would be a really good feature, a flag that shows on the
summary screen if an advertiser specifies "no time wasters, no
tyrekickers" to save us wasting our own time reading their advert.

Owen
Im not a public servant
2006-07-13 23:29:36 UTC
Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Suggestion - forget your beloved BPL for a while, go out, have a few beers
and a BBQ and relax.
atec77
Perhaps if he uses two hands to tap the board ?
Owen Duffy
2006-07-14 00:21:39 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:29:36 GMT, "Im not a public servant"
Post by Im not a public servant
Do you ever have anything positive to say?
Well, I should have added that it is a good and valuable service by
and large.

I have bought and sold through it, and only been ripped off a couple
of times, once to the tune of ~$400 by a licenced amateur (at the
time) who last time I saw him advertise a few months back used a
***@wia.org.au address but was not listed in the ACMA database...
still a fraudster.

That said, you need to be very careful.
Post by Im not a public servant
Suggestion - forget your beloved BPL for a while, go out, have a few beers
and a BBQ and relax.
I don't waste too much time on BPL now, rest assured. If BPL doesn't
crash and burn of its own accord, it will be implemented without much
more than a whimper from Australian hams.

Owen
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
2006-07-15 04:38:49 UTC
Post by Owen Duffy
I don't waste too much time on BPL now, rest assured. If BPL doesn't
crash and burn of its own accord, it will be implemented without much
more than a whimper from Australian hams.
Indeed. A frightening prospect.
I was interested to read the following. Anyone know what happened-

ARRL has seat on BPL conference panel

ARRL Laboratory Manager Ed Hare, W1RFI, will participate in an interactive
audio conference, "Broadband over Power Lines: Is BPL Ready for Primetime?"
Tuesday, July 11. Pike & Fischer is sponsoring the BPL event, which, for a
fee, will permit individuals and groups to listen in and question the
panelists. According to Pike & Fisher, the conference will explore the
evolution of BPL and look into why companies like Goldman Sachs and Google
have jointly invested approximately $100 million in BPL ventures. The
conference agenda includes an overview of some recent BPL deployments,
challenges utilities face in BPL rollouts, potential BPL applications and
revenue streams, the status of standards development, existing and emerging
regulations affecting BPL, and the status of efforts to alleviate BPL's
potential to interfere with Amateur Radio. Joining Hare will be Chano Gomez
of DS2, and Pete Griffin, chairman of the HomePlug Powerline Alliance.
Moderating will be Scott Sleek, director of broadband advisory services,
Pike & Fischer.
Barry OGrady
2006-07-16 05:03:21 UTC
Post by Owen Duffy
I don't waste too much time on BPL now, rest assured. If BPL doesn't
crash and burn of its own accord, it will be implemented without much
more than a whimper from Australian hams.
What happened to the outcry against 433 Mhz LIPDs?
A Google search shows lots of complaints soon after the band was opened
but nothing since.
I was suprised to see the amateur license altered to say that LIPD devices
are 'deemed' to not interfere with amateur repeaters.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
Owen Duffy
2006-07-16 05:11:58 UTC
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:38:49 GMT, "Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL"
<***@qrz.com> wrote:

Post by Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
I was interested to read the following. Anyone know what happened-
ARRL has seat on BPL conference panel

No info, but an industry conference on BPL is on Wed week in Sydney:

http://www.iir.com.au/conferences/confdetail.html?detail=E0009.html&cat_code=resources&conf_code=E0009

Some familiar speakers noted. You may note in the promo for this
conference:

"Country Energy has been exploring BPL for some four years and is
currently conducting a technical trial in Queanbeyan. Plans are being
made for a commercial pilot to commence during the second half of
2006."

This is apparently an extension / upgrading from their trial status
(21 months so far since November 2004) to "commercial pilot".

If it is going to crash and burn, it hasn't done so yet!

Owen
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
2006-07-16 21:47:25 UTC
Post by Owen Duffy
If it is going to crash and burn, it hasn't done so yet!
I don't know about you lot but I'm getting anxious waiting.

The whole plan has to hit problems sooner or later. (fingers tightly
crossed). I was encouraged when I saw three (I think) companies in the US
give up BPL on the grounds that it was not considered financially viable.
That was after they put millions of dollars into development. I think we can
read "not financially viable" as a sudden realisation that interference
really is a big problem. If the US chuck the idea, we can expect the rest of
the world to follow. We already have a few influential anti-BPL nations. Its
the US that's the decider.
a***@tpg.com.au
Who are the nations? I seem to remember Japan was one?
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
2006-07-17 01:51:15 UTC
Japan has banned BPL outright. Which is a bit hypocritical since the BPL
equipment is made in Japan.

UKs radio authority has declared itself "not BPL friendly". (Owen knows more
about that)

And there is at least one, possibly two, other European countries which have
either banned BPL or stated they do not wish it to be inflicted on their
populus. Not sure on the details of that. Which is probably a good
indication we need a better source of global information on the subject.
Fighting a battle requires intelligence :o)